Javelin: super-fast two-man sailboat with spinnaker
The Javelin was designed in 1968 by the Peter Milne , who among other things designed the Fireball. The design objective was to build a sailboat with excellent sailing qualities without extreme demands on the crew. The Javelin has a sharp underwater profile that performs well upwind with fast planing thanks to its flatter mid section and transom.
The Javelin is Strong
Javelin is a fast and exhilarating sailboat, that has a great advantage on both the sea and lakes. Whilst the newer boats are light and fast, the older boats were built to be strong and if sailed well are still competitive. Because of this and the already favourable new price, Javelin’s are an affordable choice for everyone. This is especially true for novice racers that can buy a usedJavelin for a good low price and intermediate sailors desiring a new built Javelin customised to their exact specification. For new and used boats, see the "BUY" tab.
The Javelin is Fast
A Javelin has a total weight of 140 kg and a sail area of almost 16m2, which can be further increased by the large 17m2 spinnaker. With such a relationship between weight and sail area sailing on all courses is a sensation, especially on downwind legs under spinnaker. In terms of speed the Javelin compares well with a Javelin a Flying Dutchman and 505, and even more rapid than the 470. The spinnaker can be easily raised and lowered with the aid of a spinnaker-chute.
- Active class organisation, about 8 race weekends a year.
- Fast, spectacular boat planing,
- Good sailing between Beaufort scale F1 - F6.
- Suitable for all types of teams: men, women and mixed.
- Solid construction.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Used Javelins from £1000
- Very easy to tow, usually equipped with a combination of beach and road trailer.
- All modern amenities and furling jib, spinnaker-chute and adjustable trapeze.
- Polyester, so no maintenance.
- European and UK racing circuit